Saturday, September 10, 2016

MSLD_521 A521.5.4.RB - Aligning Values

In developing and aligning organizational values, the organization must first ask the questions: 1.) Who are we? & 2.) What are we about (what do we stand for)?  I call these questions purpose-assessment questions. An organization is able to tell a story when their purpose is established. Once the organization's purpose is established, the company can develop a mission statement or company-creed based on the answers to the above questions. However, once management establishes the values of the company, leaders must transmit those values to employees. Denning (2011) noted that transmitting values to employees is a tricky management challenge (p. 140). Denning (2011) also noted that the best way to transmit values is to avoid moralizing, dictating behavior and to tell a story instead; telling a story embodying the values and letting the listeners see the point can be effective.
The three basic components of an ethical community are trust, loyalty, and solidarity (Denning, 2011, p.132-133). My organization clearly communicates our purpose and what we stand for but what about our ethical stance?  Thankfully, as I evaluate the basic components of an ethical community, I can see that my company does embody all three components. Denning (2011) noted that trust is the general expectation among members that their fellows will behave ethically toward them (p.132). When I go to work, my initial thoughts are not "Can I trust these people?"  or "Are they out to get me?".  I do not experience paranoia and I generally believe that my peers and supervisors have my best interest in mind. I am not saying that all of us exemplify perfect behavior in every moment ; however, I do consistently sense trust among my co-workers. 
Loyalty is the second component of an ethical community; Denning (2011) said that loyalty is the acceptance of the obligation to refrain from breaching one another's trust and to fulfill the duties entailed by accepting that trust (p.133). Like trust, I experience loyalty within my organization. In any interaction, I still  believe that it is important to carefully consider what you say and to whom. While I know there is a sense of loyalty among teammates, I am mindful of what I say if I know that others may be tempted to share that confidential information with someone else. 
The third component of an ethical community is solidarity. Solidarity is caring for other people's interests and being ready to take action on behalf of others, even if it conflicts with personal interests (Denning, 2011, p.133). The only line that gives me pause in solidarity's definition is "even if  it conflicts with personal interests". In some ways this statement makes it sound like I'd be compromising my own values. Therefore, in an effort to understand Denning's reasoning in this statement, I will give a positive example of what I think it means: As we are developing curriculum and training materials as a team, there are times when we do not agree with one another; in the moments of disagreement, I have to look at the big picture, consider my teammates ideas and finally surrender my personal interests for the greater good. If I am understanding solidarity correctly,  then I definitely see how this component abides within our organization. 
I am dishonest if I say that our organization is not missing important values. On the upside, employees are able to communicate with upper-management about the values we sense are missing. As a result of respectfully articulating our concerns, positive changes have been made. There are still weaknesses within our company but there is a willingness to learn from and grow in the areas in which important values have not been a priority.

Denning, S. (2011). The Leader's Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and Discipline of Business       Narrative. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment